Friday, January 31, 2014

Bring Sunny Home

The first part of December was unusually cold and snowy around here.  I had been keeping Sunny at my trainers so that I could just go to lessons and she would be there... I know lazy on my part, but the other side of it is she was also getting extra attention and training of her own.  Greg called and wanted to know if he could bring Sunny to me.  There water was froze and they have plenty of there own horses to take care of.  Sure, why not? She's my horse I can take care of her. 

He brought her down to my parents and I stuck her in the field with the other horses. She was stressed.  Pacing non stop. I kept a close watch on her all day.  I went home and my Mom kept on eye on her.  I fell asleep and woke up to my brother calling me... he told me, I'm pretty sure your horse is in the middle of the road.  I jumped out of bed and grabbed my boots and made it to the truck before I decided I should at least put pants on. 

The temperature was hovering around zero degrees. Burr! I didn't have to go very far,  about half a block before I found my brother and his friend had Sunny cornered in someone's yard.  She was terrified, had crazy eyes. I got her calmed down and put a harness on her.  Sunny was going home, she was on her way back to Greg and Shana's house.  My brother told me that they followed her and watched her cross the highway. Scary! She got to the highway, stopped, looked both ways and proceeded to cross. At least she looked both ways.

At this point we were only about one country block away from my parents and the field that I keep my horses in. I decided I would walk her home (my horse trailer was in the shop getting some work done to it).    My brother walked her part of the way.. and I walked her the rest of the way.  It was icy, Sunny and I both were slipping and sliding all over the place. I gave her a piece of my mind as we walked.

After what seemed like forever I got her home and tied her to a fence post... got in the truck to warm up and watched her.  I decided that was not a very good place to tie her up because she was freaking out and was still having a panic attack.  So I decided to walk her across the field to some old corrals and tie her up in there.  Did I mention how cold it was?  With snow up to my knees I walked Sunny across the field, in the dark and uphill.  I'm out of shape.  Walking in the snow is hard.  Walking in the snow, uphill in the dark is even harder. hah!

I left her for the night and slept very little.  First thing in the morning I went over to check on her.  She had tore up her legs getting through the fence the night before.  My brother and I went and bought panels to make her a corral and fix the fence were she had gotten out. Needless to say Sunny spent some time in the corral and I learned a lesson.  Don't turn a horse out when you first get them, let them get used to the area in a corral.

No comments:

Post a Comment