Font

Tuesday, May 28, 2013


A New Adventure

About a month ago I decided I wanted a horse.  I’m not going to lie, I don’t know the first thing about riding a horse, little lone owning a horse.  I talked it over with my coworkers, all of which think I’m crazy but one of them mentioned I should call my Uncle Mike and see if he wanted to sell his horses since he has been working out of town.  I called him and asked…. But he didn’t want to get rid of his horses.   Go figure.  He suggested I call my great-uncle Gary and see if he knew of any horses for sale.  My Uncle Gary is a character, I called him and our conversation started out like this:

Me:  I’m interested in buying some horses

Gary:  Are you dumb? Do you want to look like me? You’re too old to learn to ride horses.  When you’re young you bounce, when you’re old you break.

Gary invited me over to ride his horses and see if I was seriously interested.  I couldn’t wait! I went the very next day.  He showed me his horses and saddled one up.  My husband (Rick) helped Gary with the saddling but made the mistake of doing the back cinch up first which set the horse off.  Come to find out there is a certain order that has to be followed when putting a saddle on the horse.  So with the horse saddled up I jumped on.  Gary was instructing me how to ride the horse.  I got stuck in the corner and couldn’t get the horse to back up.  After all this is Gary’s horse and he was not too keen on having someone else on him.  With Gary and Rick B.S.ing about horses I sat stuck in the corner, thinking to myself is this really something I want to get into? But Gary had the best suggestion; I should take horse riding lessons.  Perfect idea!  He set me up with a trainer, Shana, but she was out of town and I had to wait over a week before I could start lessons.  The anticipation was killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment